Catalog of the exhibition Maître de l'Art nouveau viennois dedicated to Otto Wagner at the Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine.
This product is no longer in stock
Availability date: 2020-01-15
All together urban planner, architect, interior designer, theoretician and teacher, Otto Wagner (1841-1918) was one of the most prominent European architects at the crossroad of the 19th and 20th century and his influence extended way beyond the Austro-Hungarian empire.
Visionary, Wagner quickly understood that the historicist architecture, turned toward the past, was in complete contradiction with the political, economical and social context of contemporary Austria. This is why he promoted a rational architecture looking toward the future and based on both innovative material and production processes. To the actors of modernity, his creations were manifestos praising liberation from academic constraints, whereas to the tenants of tradition, they were unbearable provocations. His views largely contributed to the rise of the Vienna Secession in 1897.
From infrastructures for the Vienna subway (1894-1900) to the saving bank of the Vienna post office (1903-1910) and the Saint-Leopold am Steinhof Church (1902-1904), his main works are milestones in the birth of modern architecture.
This catalogue gathers articles authored by the best Wagner specialists in Europe. It is illustrated with documents from the Wagner archives mostly kept in the Wien Museum and published on the occasion of the monographic exhibition dedicated to Otto Wagner at the Cité de l’architecture & du patrimoine, in France.
|Number of pages||320|
|Size||24 × 29 cm|
Scroll To Top